Big Rocket | bert simons
Big Rocket
On 21th June 2004 the first private spaceship 'spaceship one' was launched and reached space. Burt Rutan's company scaled composites showed the world that a vision can come true and inspired by their great achievement I started working on my own spaceship.
20041017_105948
20041017_105948
the engine is a 9 liter pressure vessel made out of PET bottles
20050108_140037
20050108_140037
Today I started on a paper model. It should be big enough to launch my neighbor's dog with this one. It's a Pinscher and should be no problem.
20050424_133310
20050424_133310
I enlarged the volume of the pressure vessel by 3 liters so it's now 1.70 long and has a volume of 12l.
20050424_161016
20050424_161016
The wooden skeleton completed. Total size is now 220cm x 21 cm
20050524_173325
20050524_173325
The fins. This part is detachable for transport.
20050601_110810
20050601_110810
nosecone made out of balsa wood with room for parachute
20050602_145415
20050602_145415
Today I covered the fins with 1mm balsawood. Starting to look like a rocket..
20050602_155355
20050602_155355
hatch for the parachute compartment, in this compartment the little parachute for the nosecone is placed
20050602_155415
20050602_155415
The lower part of the rocket covered with aluminium. It actually turned out to heavy so I'll remove it.
20050610_223408
20050610_223408
The hook to which the big parachute will be connected.
20050610_223518
20050610_223518
Glued in some nuts to secure the removable fins with.
20050524_202104
20050524_202104
The dog whistle. The signal will be radio transmitted to Dave. Although at high altitude the signal will be very weak, Dave's large ears will hopefully pick it up...
20050525_170837
20050525_170837
Started training my neighbours miniature Pinscher. This little dog fits neatly into the cargo-bay just below the parachute compartment. At apogee I'll blow a dog whistle, the signal for brave dog Dave to initialize the reentrance procedures.
20050622_195704
20050622_195704
removed the aluminium of the lower part and filled the wooden skelton wit polyurethane.
20050624_103220
20050624_103220
Actually I bought a second hand sewing machine.. (on the right) ..after 3 meters sewing it stopped working. My luck my friends had one I could use standing by.
20050628_161300
20050628_161300
To start I first made a small parachute, 0,80cm diameter, just to sort out all the problems I would encounter. I turned out rather well and I'll use it for the safe return of the nosecone part.
20050629_183401
20050629_183401
That's me sewing the first panel of the big (1.80 diameter) parachute.
20050630_151454
20050630_151454
This is were I made my parachutes. It was really nice to do the sewing in such a remote natural place were I could concentrate very well.
20050703_001339
20050703_001339
The nine panel parts, all with a double hem ready to be stitched together
20050708_150624
20050708_150624
The finished parachute! This day there was a nice breeze and I could hardly hold the parachute.
20050713_174942
20050713_174942
Frame partially closed with japanese paper with a cellulose lacquer.
20050713_182402
20050713_182402
Detail of the opaque paper finish.
20050725_125435
20050725_125435
The parachute compartment Here the small parachute that will pull of the nosecone will be placed. I had to remake this because the earlier version had to little space to contain the parachute that turned out bigger then I thought.
20050727_140352
20050727_140352
Aluminium hatch for the parachute compartment
20050730_190032
20050730_190032
T.E.1 halfway it's first and succesfull testdrive. Aerodynamic properties exceeded the preliminary computed expectations.
flyer
flyer
press material
20050808_153038
20050808_153038
my publicity shot